Environmental Compliance Approvals (ECA)
Do you own or operate a facility? Whether Industrial, Commercial, or Institutional, chances are will need a regulatory approval prior to construction, building modifications, adding new equipment, or process changes.
Formerly known as a Certificate of Approval (CofAs), approvals now come in two forms: Environmental Compliance Approval (ECAs) and Environmental Activity Sector Registry (EASR). Depending on the type of operations at your facility you may need one or both.
Need to update or amend your Environmental Compliance Approval? We can help.
The Environmental Activity Sector Registry (EASR) is currently available for the following types of equipment and processes:
- Automotive Refinishing Facilities
- Commercial printing facilities – lithographic, screen and digital
- Heating systems
- Non-hazardous waste transportation systems
- Small ground-mounted solar facilities
- Standby power systems
Automotive Refinishing Facilities (O. Reg 245/11)
To be EASR eligible the following criteria must be met:
If the company is the only occupant in the building
- Has between 1 and 3 spray booths
- Application rate does not exceed 6 litres/hour
If the company is not the only occupant in the building:
- Has only 1 spray booth
- Application rate does not exceed 2 litres/hour
There are additional requirements depending on the coating application rate and number of spray booths. The setback distances range 0 – 120 metres from the property line depending on the equipment at the facility.
Commercial Printing Facilities – Lithographic, Screen and Digital
Only the following types of printing facilities are eligible:
- Digital, offset-lithographic and screen printing
If a facility has other types of printing processes (such as letterpress, flexography, or gravure printing) it is not eligible for the EASR.
Digital Printing processes must use organic solvent based inks, water based inks, or ultraviolet inks.
The EASR applies to off-set lithographic printing only, and includes associated equipment with setup and post-production.
There are 4 types of printing lithographic printing covered under EASR:
- Heatset web lithographic printing
- Non-heatset web lithographic printing
- Newspaper lithographic printing
- Sheet-fed lithographic printing
EASR includes the printing equipment and the associated equipment such as ovens, dryers, conveyors, and equipment used in a flash off area.
The EASR also requires that wastewater from the facility is discharged to either:
- Municipal sewer
- Transported offsite by a waste hauling company that is approved under an Environmental Compliance Approval or has been registered in the EASR.
As specified in O. Reg 349/12 the facility must:
- Have only a certain number of exhaust stacks (6), and noise generating equipment (3)
- Depending on the number of exhaust stacks, and/or noise generating equipment the facility must have a certain setback distance between itself and the nearest sensitive receptor.
Only exhausts stacks with a flow rate greater than 1,000 ft3/min (0.472 m3/s) need to be considered.
Noise Generating Equipment is defined as:
- Wet cooling towers
- Air cooled condensers
- Cyclone dust collectors
- Paper waste compactors
- Blowers used for a vacuum system.
Additionally, O. Reg 349/12 sets limits on the monthly consumption of inks.
Commercial Heating Systems
Heating systems are anything that is used to produce or supply heat to the interior of a building for the comfort of the occupants. To be EASR eligible the heating system must be natural gas or propane.
- The maximum heat input of any one unit cannot be greater than 10.5 million kilojoules per hour (9.9 MM BTU/hr)
Standby Power Systems
Standby power systems are defined as anything that generates electrical power during power outages or involuntary power reductions. The generators must be fueled by:
- Natural Gas
The maximum rated capacity of each generator cannot exceed 700 kilowatts (kW).
The sound power measured 7 metres from the generator cannot exceed:
- 70 dBA for generators rated at 150 kW or less
- 75 dBA for generators rated at 150 kW or more
Non-Hazardous Waste Transportation Systems (O. Reg 351/12)
EASR eligibility criteria:
- Only transport waste by waste transportation vehicles (rail transportation require an Environmental Compliance Approval)
- Only collects, handles, and transfers waste (waste processing, land application, etc are not EASR eligible and my require an Environmental Compliance Approval or Non-Source Agricultural Material (NASM) study)
- Must not transport the following
- Asbestos, biomedical, hazardous, or liquid industrial waste
O. Reg 351/12 also includes additional requires for the handling, and construction of vehicles to be considered EASR eligible.
Small Ground Mounted Solar Facilities (350/12)
For a facility to be EASR eligible the following criteria must be met:
- Must have ground mounted solar photovoltaic collector panels
- Name plate capacity must be between 10 and 500 kW
- Must not have already obtained Renewable Energy Approval (REA) or Environmental Compliance Approval (ECA)
- Transformers less than or equal to 750 kVA
- Facility must not have distribution lines that are associated or ancillary to the facility (or not more than 2km off-property)
In addition, O. Reg 350/12 contains additional requirements that pertain to land use rules, and noise generating equipment .
Have questions? Contact one of Rubidium Environmental’s, Environmental Consultants to assist you with your project. email@example.com // (905) 635-4063